Thursday, July 3, 2008

Vegas Trip - Day 1

Day 1 – July 1, 2008

My first trip to Vegas began ironically on Canada Day, and I’ve been anticipating this trip since the plane ticket was booked at the end of May. With all this excitement the last few days leading up to the trip, the first day was big let down. Not that I was expecting to fly first class, picked up by limos and sit beside Maria Sharapova on the flight, but what occurred was a true definition of running bad in life. Things started off when I woke up and left Toronto for Buffalo in the morning, things didn’t get so bad really on the trip across the border, nor did customs take overly long. I was however stuck in a bus with an annoying Chinese woman whom found every single excuse to complain under her breath once we crossed the border to the American side. She got agitated originally due to the apparent “unclear” instructions from the bus driver when someone on the bus did not go through secondary customs with their bag, which resulted in about a 15-minute delay once the mistake was discovered. 15 minutes is really not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but she simply ran with the “driver error” for not giving clear instructions despite the fact that they are not allowed to give any instructions and found every chance to complain, mutter, and curse under her breath.

Upon arrival to the Buffalo International Airport, I immediately checked in to drop off one of my luggage, leaving myself with my sling bag and my laptop case. First flight consisted of a loud baby and his non-stop crying, and second flight consisted of an oversized passenger to my right of window seat with no consideration of legroom and elbowroom.

Landed in Vegas at around 10:30pm, and dropped my bags off Watt’s place and headed out immediately to the Rio to check out the action and start losing money. Here is a some poker content.

Rio $175 satellite – 10 handed.

Pretty awful structure with t1000 starting chips and 15 minutes blinds. However, the competition is so soft that it is +ev for most players who may read this who have a small idea of how to play poker and pushing/calling ranges.

First hand of interest in the satellite came at the 25/50 level.

Hero’s Stack 850, MP’s Stack 1500~, SB’s stack 1200~

MP’s been active raising and taking down pots by opening in position, and again raises to t175 and hero looks down at 88 on the button. I was contemplating between calling and shoving when SB announced all-in. Made my fold easier and it turns out SB has 99 and MP has AJ

Next hand involves the player to my immediate right whom have raised on the button/CO regularly and blinds are now 50/100.

Hero’s stack 850, villain 1200~

Villain raises to t300 and hero jams A10ss and villain thinks for a few seconds and says “I can’t fold even if I’m behind” and calls with AJ.

Flopped was A 3 5, and turn was another 5 to give me a few more chop outs. River was a 6 and I’m quickly down on the trip.

Another satellite was about to begin when I busted out so I decided to drop another $275 down on a satellite where starting stack is increased to t1500 and you get 20 minutes blinds.

Nothing really interesting happens, but 7 of the 10 players (including myself) got in a $20 last longest (started with $100, no one was interested except for one guy, dropped to $50, 4 in total and another guy “do $20 and I’m in” and we got 7 into it) but in general the table seemed like they had a bit of an idea of what they were doing, it consisted of a mix of grinders/regulars, and a couple of tourists. Table played pretty tight from the beginning and I chipped up a bit to t3000 or so when this hand came up.

Blinds 50/100, Hero’s stack 2800~, villain 2100~

Villain limps in MP, and hero raises to 400 on the cutoff with JJ, blinds fold and MP calls.

Flop Q 6 4

Hero makes a continuation bet of 600, and villain ask some questions before announcing all-in which forces hero to fold.

Blinds get to 100/200 and hero shoves QJ in the CO with 1400~, SB reshoves with 1010.

Flop was Q J 9, turn brought a 6 and river brought a K and busto again.

Went to watch the heads up match between Marty Smyth and Peter Jetten – “apathy” online. I thought the heads up match lasted like 15 hands or so, but it turns out it lasted 30 hands. Last hand was a cooler even by PLO terms when both guys flopped the nut straight but Marty had a royal flush draw and a full house draw, freerolling Jetten. Club on the river gives the bracelet to Marty.

Also railed the FT of the $1500 HORSE where Hellmuth was going for his 12th bracelet. The rail was about 3-4 deep with guys cheering for/against Hellmuth. Nothing interesting to note since I only watched a few hands, but as soon as Hellmuth busted out the crowd thinned and there were about 15 railbirds when it got down to heads up.

Sweated Watts until the completion of play in the limit shootout and saw a hand between him and Kenna James with KK vs. AA. He finished the day with 30500. Ended the night back at his place and met the other guys (LearnedFromTV, adanthar, Bond18 etc).

No comments: